Monday, June 28, 2010

Music

I can always listen to music and it always makes me feel lighter. Even heavy, dark music, or lethargic music. Something about it just jumps inside of me and strokes the parts of me that aren't normally touched. A certain song comes on and every cell in my body takes a deep breath and feels so red they're almost incandescent. It's incredibly liberating for all that it could be the hundredth time I've heard that song.

Each time I hear a song that I'm particularly in love with at the moment. I hear something new. Or it finds some place new in me to creep into.

Where does a song come from? I know it's written, and it's lived in a person for so long before it comes out. But does it come from every atom in them, moving all together and forming in their brain and heart, flowing out of their throats and fingers. Or does it come from motion and sound and the life that is going around them. Coming in through whatever connection that they have with the other entities that we share this world with, transforming within them to something that has such power over individuals as soon as the notes touch their timpanic membranes.

And music does have power. Tangible power. In addition to having the ability to move a man to tears and turn thousands of people into an impenatreble mass of movement and blood and sweat, it can destroy the sense of hearing, it can bring a forgotten memory to the surface of them mind. It can cause me to fall in love for an eternity, and I am a creature who is only on this earth for a moment.

Oh I ramble. I guess I just wanted to say that I love music with every resonating cell in my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment