Wednesday, February 27, 2013

52 Lists: List the things that make you feel heathly

I am not really a healthy person. I lean more towards gluttony. I truly admire people that are healthy and make healthy choices. Personally though, I'd rather drink an entire bottle of wine instead of just a glass. I'd rather eat bacon than avoid fat. I'd rather curl up and read rather than exercise daily. That being said I know there needs to be a balance somewhere. It's just a matter of finding that balance.

My exercise in the winter usually consists of trapping and hunting, but when the weather is abhorrent and I can't go outside I usually miss out on that exercise. I used to run inside on a treadmill but after running outside, I can't stand running on a treadmill anymore. Living out in rural Alaska also has a few disadvantages when it comes to healthy options from the grocery store. I bought a cauliflower the other day. What did it put me back? Seventeen dollars. Seventeen. Ridiculous. I can't afford to do that all of the time. Mentally though, living out here is the balm to my soul. I don't know if it's the connection I feel to the place or that my ancestors have hung out here for generations and it's in my blood, but I feel good when I'm here and out in the land. I feel whole.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes. Yes, seventeen dollars. You better believe I used and abused that cauliflower for every penny.

      Delete