Friday, February 22, 2013

Bunneh stew

This is how I do bunny stew. Well, one of the ways. It always starts with bunny that has been cleaned and then brined at least 12 hours in the refrigerator. The salt in the brine draws blood out of the meat and tenderizes it. A must.


Next step is to get the crock pot out. I love my crock pot, except for the fact it's old school and you can't take the pot part out to clean it. It's bolted or welded in there, which is obnoxious. I dump a can of chicken broth and a can of cream of celery (or mushroom) soup in the pot and mix em together. The first time I tried this I put all my ingredients in the crock pot before the liquid and then dumped the soup and broth on top and tried to mix it all together. Fail.
I have a bunch of canned tomatoes from the Jacob's crew that I've been trying to use up so I poured a can of stewed tomatoes in once I got my brother and soup mixed together. The first stuff to go in the pot are onions and/or garlic. I didn't have any garlic so I made do with onions.



Next up, the rinsed off bunny meat. I layer it on the onions. I push it down a little and give it a stir.


I add whatever vegetables and such that I can find on top of the meat. In this case: celery, carrots, and corn. I ran out of mushrooms, which made me sad because I love me some mushrooms in my crock pot. I generally dumb the juice from the corn or mushrooms in with everything else, more flavor right?


My liquid wasn't covering everything so I added a can of V8 juice. Wallah. I turn it on and give it a stir every 4 to 6 hours. I cook it until I can pick up a bunny bone and the meat just falls off. Everything is warm and tender and done. If I feel like gravy I'll scoop out some broth and add flour. If I feel like soup I'll leave it. If I feel like stew I'll add a few noodles towards the end of the cooking to absorb some of the broth. Yum.


I should have taken a picture when it was done....

No comments:

Post a Comment