Thursday, March 28, 2013

52 Lists: List the things that feel like home

Why did I stay up till two in the morning. Again. For the third time in 3 days. Two nights ago I blame my homework. Yesterday I blame my stupidity. I was on a roll with it.

See? Evidence.

I didn't need any stitches by my damn thumb would not stop bleeding. I didn't really have adequate bandages either so after an hour of bleeding all over myself I paid a quick visit to the clinic. The sadistic nurse cleaned out my cut. Twice. Holy crap did that HURT. It made me shudder to think about it. I swear she sprayed saltwater into my cut. But at least I know it's clean, and with the water situation being what it is, I'm okay with that.

As if that wasn't traumatic enough. My neighbor, my glorious, amazing neighbor, put in a fresh water tank to pump water into his boiler so we could have a limited amount of hot water. I put a baggie over my thumb and duct taped the crap out of it and then turned on the shower. THERE WAS HOT WATER. I jumped in and then soon learned that it fluctuated from freezing cold, and I do mean freezing (the water being pumped from the river is right around freezing which is why everyone's systems keep freezing) to being scalding hot. I have one of those little shower cubicle things. So about every minute I was slamming into the wall trying to get out of the water stream during the extremes. I must have looked and sounded ridiculous. But folks, I was able to shower. And that is a glorious, glorious thing.

That is home to me right now. Unalakleet is still struggling with the water situation. Thankfully so many organizations and individuals have pooled their efforts and we haven't lost the system. I think it's still at considerable risk though. Moore's list this week was things that feel like home. While this isn't the norm for Unalakleet, it's still a part of the... charm? challenge? of living here.


2 comments:

  1. I love visiting everyone's lists and meeting new friends.

    ReplyDelete