Monday, March 18, 2013

Rambing about trapping and work

Trapping season is almost over for me. For most critters the end of the season is April 15th. You can still trap beaver (and muskrats) up through June, but I have so much travel coming up that I'm going to pretty much miss the end of the season. Which blows but at the same time I think the travel is much needed.

Mink I caught and skinned while Gregg was gone.
I need some space and time away from work. I stepped into the General Manager position to help out the organization that I work for. My intent on stepping into the position was that it was going to be a temporary deal. However, I feel as though I was bullied into considering applying for the position. And I did seriously consider it. In the end I know that it's not me. It hurts me emotionally and mentally to deal with people that much. Mentally, I was prepared to fight fires and handle neglected paperwork. I was not prepared to manage people. After being in this position for 3 months, I realize that I am not meant for it.

Lynx and a mink
Back to trapping. From March 2nd through March 15th my trapping partner was traveling. Previous to this two weeks I had run the line by myself on occasion. He'd been running lines solo for years before he started teaching me. When we're both here in Unalakleet, we both go, we both love to trap. This season I knew I would have to step back from being on the line because of work (I stepped up to skinning after work). Last season I was able to finish my work in 6 hours. I worked through lunch, and took off to trap in the afternoon. Not so this year. I committed to an 8 to 5 day. Miserable.

Meet Penny, the neediest dog on the planet.
So when he was traveling, I was working a full time job and running the line by myself after work. I also volunteered to take care of his really need little dog and another friend's dog, who incidentally enough lived about 2 miles out of town. Now 2 miles isn't far but when you've gone 30 miles on a trap line on a rough trail, 2 extra miles to let a dog out is a long ways. Whine, whine, I know my life is so tough.

On the way back from Egavik. Mom always worries about me most when I head north.
That all being said, those two weeks on the line all by lonesome made me so proud of myself. Last year I remember saying, "I don't think I'll ever be able to run a line by myself." Now I know with certainty that I can run a line by myself. Sure I made mistakes, some really stupid ones like sticking my left hand in a set 330 conibear, but I did it. Not many young men in my village can say that, let alone any other young woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment