Monday, March 4, 2013

Sunday Trapping Report

I went to Egavik on Sunday. My trapping partner decided to defect and head into Anchorage for the week so I was rolling solo. I got past Powers Creek and everything was going just fine when the sled ripped off the hitch from my snow machine. I guess it was kind of rusty and old and definitely hadn't been used in a good long while. You can see I used the useless green rope in the sled (suddenly not so useless) to tie the sled to my rig. I made it to Egavik, looking back over my shoulder every three seconds or so. Made for a long ride.
Oh yeah, I'm that good at fixing stuff.
The wind was blowing West so the ice started heading out to sea. Also because of the stupid wind the hills on the way to Egavik were bumpy as heck. The wind was blowing around 30-35 mph, it was about 20 without the wind so around 0 with the wind chill. But it was warm enough that the snow was packing in nice and tight into it's drifts. What a jarring experience.

Bye bye ice. Take a look at that lead.
There was no sign of anything moving around at Egavik. Not even the wolverine that we've missed three times. I got up to the last set and couldn't see the trap but didn't see anything big either. I walked over and a mink had tried to pull the bunny bait out of the trap. He sprung it on himself and the bunny. I reset everything and went back down past Egavik and started heading back through the hills when I realized I didn't remove the hooks from resetting the trap... I cursed about a million times in my head. I didn't want to miss the wolverine because of my dumb ass so YES I DROVE BACK. I unhooked the latches and headed home. Bumpy ride.
At least I didn't get skunked. I got minked.

No comments:

Post a Comment