Friday, December 7, 2012

Seal skin slippers

These were the first two pairs of seal skin slippers that I made.  The bead work was done by my grandma Hazel.  So much more creative and imaginative than anything that I could have come up with.  She knew how to use beads for that type of bead work in an amazing way.  The primarily blue flower was used to Matt's pair of slippers and the red and purple star-ish pattern was for Gretchen's slippers.

I love the off center turquoise pearly beads.  My mind tends to think in symmetrical patterns.
These pictures are making me want to practice this type of bead work.
Proper placement is key.

I worry about where the bead work is placed on the toe of the slipper.  No piece is going to be perfect and they'll never match exactly but I certainly can try to get them as close as possible.  The bead work is stitched down all around the edge.  Using a piece of felt as welting the front and the toe are stitched together.  I chose red for Gretchen's slipper.


I need to catch me some seals.  I need some more seal skin.

3 comments: