Monday, December 17, 2012

Wolverine

This is one type of wolverine set that my trapping partner taught me. All you need is a conibear  trap. Pretty nifty if you ask me. We also did some box sets for wolverine, but those are cumbersome to carry around on the trap line. Gregg is tough enough to set conibears with his hands. However, I am a wimp and need to carry a tool around to set them or a rope so I generally leave that to him and I break twigs and sticks and build the little cubby. I'm helpful that way. The trap is braced by three main sticks, you can kind of see them in the triangle formation at the front of the cubby stabilizing the trap.

Cubby set on the river.
We didn't catch a wolverine in the cubby set last year. Boo. We did catch one in a lynx set though! Lucky we checked traps that day. The wolverine was caught by two toes in the lynx foot trap. He tore that area up. We had to rebuild the little lynx set completely. Catching this wolverine really showed me how tough those animals are. I watched Gregg skin the wolverine through to the head and then I had to get home and get some sleep because I had work the next day. I should have said screw work and stayed. He had some difficultly getting around the neck and couldn't figure out why. Turns out there was a snare around his neck from a previous season. His hide had completely regrown over the snare and it was embedded in his skin. Tough!


Mr. tough guy. I didn't want to get too close to him. He was hissing and it was scary.
Gregg dispatched him with his .17HMR. Then I lugged him to the sled. Wolverine are heavy and STINKY! This was a super dark male. I hope the weather improves a bit for trapping. It's been 35 below or colder and the winds have been gusting up to 40 below when it's been around zero. Not ideal. Good news: we're getting snow.


2 comments: