Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Apple and Sunflower Seed Kale Salad

I got home from work last night and all I could think about was this:

The glorious of igloo food.  No cooking.  Minimal wait time.  CURLY FRIES.
So naturally I looked in my fridge, realized I needed to eat the kale that was going bad and ultimately decided to made a kale salad.  Why didn't I just let the kale go bad?  Well, there are a few reasons which contributed to that.  #1: The stores don't stock kale out here.  So if I let it go bad there was no chance of getting more.  #2: It was free.  The Jacob's crew gave me all their food that they didn't eat from over the summer.  One simply cannot let free food go to waste.  #3: It's better for me than a big old fatty burger and fries (I'm making myself put this on the list.)

Tear up the kale.  You can see it was starting to yellow.
 I found the recipe for this salad in Cooking Light.  Naturally because I live in the middle of nowhere I didn't have the right ingredients.  Surprise surprise.  Not really.  So instead of celery, I grated carrots.


And instead of using a granny smith apple and walnuts, I used whatever kind of apple I had in my fridge and sunflower seeds.  Sunflower seeds have become my go to replacement for most other fancy nuts i.e. pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.  You get the idea.

Quartered and cored
Then sliced.  I ate one little sliver when I was slicing.  Sue me.
Oh yeah... And I didn't have a red onion, which look more like purple onions to me.  So I used some of my yellow onion.  I do like red onions better than yellow onions, but a village girl can't get too picky.  Unless it comes to men, then you need to be the pickiest gal on the planet.  No lie.

Slice, slice.  I didn't cry.
Instead of cider vinegar, I used cloudberry vinegar.  Instead of walnut oil, I used sesame oil.  I didn't have kosher salt, I had some kind of fancy sea salt that was a gift.  My house doesn't believe in fresh ground pepper, so I used regular pepper.  However, my fancy self had brown sugar and feta cheese.  What up.  That's how I roll.

I ate the whole bowl.  I have no self control.

No comments:

Post a Comment