Friday, October 19, 2012

Beaver Mitts (Part two)

Step three continued: Here's the beaver that I used for the tops of the mittens.  You need at least one pretty large beaver for the tops and another decent sized beaver for the bottoms, or two smaller beavers.  The mittens are meant to be worn over other gloves.


I trace out both pieces before I start cutting anything.  Usually I trace out all of the pieces before I cut anything so that I know I have enough and that the fur is all going the right direction.  Tracing kinda sucks because you can't pin the pattern to the skin.  One option is to tape the pattern down to the hide.


Once you have all of the pieces cut out you need some welting.  I just use strips from the leather used for the palm of the mitten.  Cut them loooong and skinny, about a 1/4 inch thick.  When I sew with the welting I put it so the rough side is to the leather and the smooth side is to the fur.  Just personal preference.  You can welt however you like.

Ready to start sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment